- Responsible:University of Oldenburg + BÜFA
- Time: 1 semester (2020/21)
- of students: 35
- of business personnel: 10
- of teaching personnel: 2
- The Climate Challenge Seminar is part of the master module „Innovation Management“. In the new challenge-based learning format, students develop sustainable innovative solutions that have the potential to contribute to BÜFA's strategy of carbon neutrality.
- In the first part of the module, the basic theoretical concepts of innovation management are taught in an online lecture. The students have to solve two online assignments per lecture.
- In the second part of the module, the Climate Challenge Seminar takes place. Student teams collaborate with company mentors to develop Climate Challenge Solutions for BÜFA.
- Lectures to discuss key concepts and frameworks related to innovation management
- Introduction: carbon neutrality of companies
Climate Challenge Seminar
- Challenges identified in the extracurricular "Green Business Idea Jam" are integrated into the seminar.
- Student teams develop innovative solutions for BÜFA’s carbon neutrality strategy
- Individual coaching session of the 7 student teams by lecturers and BÜFA staff
- Writing of a term paper (Climate Challenge Solution Paper) that summarizes the process of the practical projects and derives general conclusions for the implementation by BÜFA
- Short online assignments with reference to the respective lecture
- Fact sheets with BÜFA Climate Challenges
- Guidelines and criteria for pitches and term papers
- Individual coaching sessions for the student teams
- Online collaboration with business partners and students
- 35 students work in teams of 5 on the following challenges:
- Strengthening climate awareness among company employees (company site)
- Strengthening climate awareness among company employees (mobility)
- Innovative logistics solutions for the company
- Promotion of sustainability innovations by the company
- Regional company’s carbon offsetting project
- Digitalization of the company’s customer service processes
- Intelligent energy management for a new PV system of the company
- Several Climate Challenge Solutions of the student teams are implemented by BÜFA.
- Students and business partner get to know each other.
- Business partner gets a new perspective on its carbon neutrality strategy.
Lessons learned & Future plans
- Implementation of the seminar requires a high level of human resources on the part of the business partner.
- Individual coaching offered by the teachers requires a high level of personnel involvement. Guiding questions for the coaching sessions could be developed.
- The development of fact sheets for the individual challenges requires close coordination between the business partner and the teaching team.
- Students team have been highly motivated and the business partner is very satisfied with the results. It is planned to continue with the new challenge-based learning format in the future.
- If Climate Business Idea Jam and Climate Challenge are combined, there is a risk that the innovative ideas generated in the Green Business Idea Jam may not be suitable for the Climate Challenge seminar.
More information: Dr. Karsten Hürrelmann, University of Oldenburg (email@example.com)